 |
| Students waiting for their exam |
Not everyone was excited over the Giro d'Italia. Many locals lament that traffic is all blocked. And we have a lot of it this year with so many of such events organised by the Municipality, so many times we are stuck in the Old City. But the anti-Israel movement has been posting ads online calling for a boycott, that Israel is again pouring money to whitewash it's treatment of palestinians, taking over palestinian lands etc. Well I don't agree with some policies of disenfranchising the palestinians ... but I don't agree with boycotts either. If the events are opened to everyone, it will forster greater understanding and encounter with the other side. There are other ways to make changes, but I am not convinced boycott is one of them. You be the judge.
https://bdsmovement.net/news/shameongiro-lets-give-giro-ditalia-reality-check
 |
| Nuns carrying food donations |
One good news - my ankle stopped hurting. This morning I woke up and I could walk properly. Somehow the bones fell back into place an I could put pressure on it again. I was very happy. I could meet my students all morning to discuss their theses. Then it's class at 3pm. Then another meeting with another student to discuss his exam. Yes some of our courses have their exams early ... today was one of them. Our students were nervously reviewing their papers along the school foyer, waiting for their turn. It's mostly oral exams. Those with poor knowledge of italian sometimes ask me for help for revision.
And as the summer vacation so beginning, it's time to fund-raise for sponsorship of students for the new school year in September. In the past weeks, some groups have been donating food for the poor. I organised them into bags and called the sisters of M. Teresa to pick them up and distribute them among the poor. Summer vacation means kids staying at home and therefore cooking more food. You can do your part to help the local poor christians here in the Holy Land.
The sandstorm and heatwave continues today but one refreshing news we got is Saudi Arabia permitting the Vatican to build churches in the kingdom. It's a sign of opening up ... at least that's what the Vatican is saying. I only ask if the Saudis will also provide and guarantee security for our christian migrant workers who go to church.
https://www.rt.com/news/425888-saudi-arabia-churches-cardinal/