Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Heatwave

Caper flowers in the heatwave
Another incredibly hot day with lots of desert sand blowing into the City. Every corner has a stack of soft yellow sand gathering in the wind. Pentecost is over so these wind should stop blowing in the sands ... but the weather has changed so much we just don't know what to expect anymore. Most plants and flowers have wilted or scorched under the relentless sun. But the caper bushes that grow out of walls are very strong despite their fragile look. Their powder puff flowers still bloom profusely in the mornings but in the afternoon they die off. It's a one day flower. Our roses on the other hand have all their buds and tips scorched to crisp. This morning we had to put up a tent to protect the plants on the terrace.

Arab pastries for Ramadan
The 2nd stitch from my surgery came off today. It feels a little more comfortable and I'm able to eat rice sake in soup. Nothing solid except qattayef pancakes which are soft. This evening I bought my first bottle of almond juice ... ice cold. Some of my jewish security friends don;t know what it is so I shared some with them. They sort of liked it. The important thing is it's kosher. Once my wound is better I hope to buy Ramadan pastries to eat. They're always very well made but they cost a lot. But it's only once a year ... so I might buy a piece of each and eat them for the fun of it.

No sign of violence today. It was simply too hot. Let's see what tomorrow brings.