Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday is normal

An uneventful Friday ... despite the Mounted Police and soldiers. Nothing happened. Life went on as usual. And we are all happy. Muslims went to the Mosque to pray; Christians made the Way of the Cross; Jews walking to the Wailing Wall.

Tourists have suddenly flooded the City. Packed. No place in the streets to walk as these tourists inconsiderately block the entire streets taking photos, chatting, eating ... not giving a damn that we locals need to get to work. That's my nightmare. And reports have come out that an average chinese tourist spends about US$300 a day (not counting souvenirs) ... which makes him/her the highest spender among all tourists coming to Israel. And chinese tourists have shot up 60% in the last year, making it the fastest growing market.

Shlomzion Street: quiet
and tranquil
And the Pope's visit is going to be a big thing because he'll meet the Greek Ecumenical Patriarch in the Holy Sepulchre .... just as Pope Paul VI did with the then Patriarch Athenagoras exactly 50 years ago. Tourism will peak. Israel is hiring the best journalists to cover the event. It's a money-pulling opportunity that Israel's economy needs.

And I've managed to grab a few hours of sleep here and there today. My body is crumbling under so much work, it just shuts down and I'm knocked out. I'm hoping next week I have 3 full days of sleep. I need it. And the silent cold streets can be very calming as well, a therapeutic effect ... as I walk home late after work. It's like another world from the noisy unpredictable daytime that this City is.

Sincere thanks to Yvonne, the Cavero family, the RISERS and others for all your gifts of medicine, soup packs and goodies.