Tomorrow is Jerusalem Day - when Israelis celebrate the taking of East Jerusalem and uniting the city. Of course the East Jerusalemites see it in the opposite light. We're expecting some violence in our Muslim Quarter when the Israelis march through tomorrow evening. Shops have been told to close, but as with every year, we expect graffiti to be sprayed all over our walls and gates; and the unlucky ones caught outside will be spat at. Panic calls have already been sounded.
http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=270583 Even as I write, a group of noisy zionist israelis are marching down our street, singing loudly and banging drums. It's almost midnight. They did that yesterday too. And not a single arab in sight.
So a hue and cry has been raised after a public hospital prevented arab staff from speaking arabic, although arabic is one of the official languages of Israel.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/kfar-sava-hospital-bans-teaching-staff-from-speaking-in-arabic-1.431165 Well all I can say is, if it were a situation regarding hebrew, it would have been labelled anti-semitic and everyone involved would have ended up in jail.
 |
| Lovely bouquet |
But enough of our daily happenings. Here's a nice bouquet of gladioli and roses arranged by Alberto for Ascension Sunday. Something to smile about. I've gone to see the doc and he diagnosed my fainting spells, nausea and giddiness for the last 3 days as a herniated disc that crushed a nerve. My right neck and shoulder are slightly swollen and the pain was bad. I was actually lifting a box of fruit/veggies when I had a sharp pain on my neck area and then I fainted. But it was also made worse by stress, fatigue and hunger. Now the doc says "No more carrying heavy things! Absolutely no!" Easier said than done.
 |
| Organic food shop |
One nice surprise was finding a natural and organic food shop in East jerusalem. It's the first in the area ... I doubt it'll last as there's little culture of eating healthy.