Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hamsiin

Sand everywhere
This is what the ground looks like after a sandstorm. It's bad enough being caught in one - sand in the eyes, ears, nose, hair ... no wonder the arabs wear the kfeir - but it's even worse when you have to sweep up afterwards. I swept up half the courtyard and gave up. The sand is very fine and any little movement will cause it to swirl up in the air. This is typical of the weather between Easter and Pentecost - the sandstorm is called Hamsiin meaning 50 or "pentecost".

My shoulder and neck is much better after Moran came to fix it. Could finally sleep last night. He called twice again today to see if I was alright. I'm glad to have a friend like him. And another friend Ami came to visit - he's always so cheerful despite being unwell himself. I'm very touched by his attitude when he wants something very much but doesn't get it or is rejected or the answer is "no" - he simply smiles and says "okidoki". I must learn from him. And Firas went out on an excursion with his University - a big event for them. He was all excited last night, packing his knapsack and all for the day trip outside the walls of Bethlehem. He called in the afternoon to tell me what he was doing but I was at class. Too bad. we'll catch up later this evening I guess.

Ah Ling from the Chinese Restaurant called me over because she boiled fish soup and insisted I had to drink some to nourish myself. The team there is fantastic - they take good care of me whenever I'm sick. Next week she'll be boiling chinese herbs and told me to go back and drink it. I'll see when I'm free.

The green cage was attacked by a cat
The canaries are doing fine too - all are nesting with eggs: well almost all, one cage was attacked by the cat and all the eggs were lost. Luckily the parent canaries are alright but they're badly traumatised. 6 hatchlings have hatched - 4 in one nest and 2 in another. The parents seem to be feeding them so it's good news.

So the hamsiin was a nasty experience last week and this week, but it also blew in some good news and good friends. It's Pentecost after all.