Last night an earthquake rocked the country at about 10pm. Caused panic in many parts. Reaching 5.5 on the Richter scale, it's the most powerful earthquake we've had in these years.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/light-earthquake-rattles-northern-central-israel-1.429766
 |
| Makloubeh at Haytham's |
Yesterday evening I was invited by Haytham to his house for dinner. Haytham is a social worker who works part-time as a taxi-driver. He's driven me everywhere whenever I need it (usually to hospitals) and whenever he is available. Otherwise his dad would do it. Haytham has a lovely apartment on the Mt. of Olives which he shares with his newly wedded wife Hanil. She speaks very good english and is a great cook - no wonder Haytham has put on so much weight since I first met him! Hanil cooked Makloubeh or "upside down" - chicken, veggies and rice boiled in a pot and then turned upside down when served. It was delicious. We chatted for a while and then Haytham drove me home. It was a great evening! Sort of a repeat of the afternoon with Firas. I'm glad to have friends like them.
But the night before I had a severe attack of asthma ... could not sleep the whole night. Totally exhausted me for the rest of the day. My eyes were swollen and I was so sleepy. Had another attack last night. It's caused by the broken septum and infected sinus. Just have to get it operated as soon as possible. My community in Jaffa called to see how I was and asked me to go there to rest - the warm sea air would be good for my asthma. Well maybe I will.
I was pretty excited by the news that archaeologists might have discovered the quarry where pillars and stones were dressed for use in the Nea Church - possibly the largest and most beautiful Church in the Middle East of the 5th century.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/in-jerusalem-possible-site-of-ancient-church-s-miracle-is-revealed-1.429587