Friday, December 12, 2008

The Prophet

As Advent advances to the 3rd week, we read the earnestness of the prophet Isaiah in announcing the great promises of renewal, rejuvenation and rejoicing. It's a message that's sorely needed here in the Holyland - the economic crisis is biting; the cost of living is rising like crazy and many families are not able to meet their daily needs. Just to give you an idea, from my experience - a shwarma (roast-spitted lamb in pitta bread) used to cost 8 shekels, then rose to 12 shekels and now 15 shekels; the famous 3 shekel bun I used to get for Sunday breakfasts is now 7 shekels (US$2!!!). Life is tottering to a halt; anger at this downturn is rising everywhere (I think this is an important element in the chaos in Greece now) and it's going to blowup like a volcano soon. Just wait and see.

Meantime I'll locking myself in my room like a Carthusian and just concentrating on my work. For relaxation I listen to Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet narrated by someone - very nicely done with music. Gibran's work is so well known (hope you know of it) yet reading after rereading brings fresh inspirations. Maybe you should get this book as a Christmas present for someone this year.

And talking about presents, for those of you who have or are thinking of sending things to me, just to let you know that the Post Office / Customs has confiscated many parcels for me, as I never received them. And Lew's ham was forbidden to enter Israel! sigh ..... Merry Christmas.