Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year wish for peace

2008 has rushed out so quickly. It was a year that I lost many good friends: our chinese Carmelite Sister Josephine Loh in Nazareth, Daniel Cavero, David Jeaffreson, Fr Michele Piccirillo, and a few days ago George our former doorman just to name a few. It was a difficult year of trials and struggles that is climaxing in this war in Gaza. But our Christian faith tells us that out of this darkness comes light; that God will always triumph. May 2009 be peace-full.

Tonight we'll sing Vespers and the Te Deum during Adoration. Then we'll have dinner. It'll be a simple way to end the year and we dedicate the New Year to the Virgin Mary whose feast we celebrate tomorrow as the Mother of God.

To all my benefactors, collaborators, friends and family, I assure you of my prayers and thanks for your kindness to me and to the poor whom I try to serve here in the Holyland.

I cannot wish you a Happy New Year while I see so much suffering around me. I wish you a peace-filled and hope-filled New Year.