As I write now, reports are coming in that 150 persons were killed in the Israeli airstrike on Gaza. These include many police and chiefs of security. The airstrike as I far as I know, is still continuing. Panic throughout Gaza, innocent people trying to hide or run across to Egypt. It's like shooting fish in a barrel - there's nowhere for those people to run or hide. See http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1230111714969&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull and http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/27/gaza.israel.strikes/index.html and video http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7800985.stm
Arab shops here in the Old City and East Jerusalem have begun closing down - either out of fear, or mourning or protest. Jewish shops are closed anyway because it's the Sabbath. The city is very tense and everyone is apprehensive - what will happen next? A Hamas counter-attack? Suicide bombers in the City? More knivings and shootings on both sides?
Our otherwise festive lunch today was darkened by conversation about this situation. We fear that things will get out of control and an all-out war has begun. More violence, more suffering, more hatred. We must be careful when going out - if at all necessary. I shall not be going to the Holy Sepulchre tomorrow morning at 4am as usual for obvious reasons. I shall celebrate Mass here in our Flagellation chapel instead at 6.30am. Pray for peace, pray for no more casualties. pray that people come to their senses. How we need the Prince of Peace now.... the irony is He was born right here in this very land where the war is being fought.