Sunday, October 12, 2008

Greater things

Today we celebrate several anniversaries of the professors: Fr Lino (60 yrs as franciscan), Fr Enzo (50 yrs priesthood) and Fr Massimo (25 yrs priesthood). There will be a solemn Mass this morning and then later the Custos will come to lunch.

Yesterday I happened to log on the ACC website (Australian Christian Channel) and they were broadcasting the film "Mother Teresa". The dialogue was very stiff but the scenes were good (shot in Sri Lanka). It's very touching because it showed the early years of Mother's struggle with the Sisters of Loreto, the church authorities, the Hindus in order to fulfill Christ's words to her to start a new congregation. They called her stubborn and naive; now in hindsight they say she was persevering, committed, convinced, tenacious. It's strange how time changes perspectives. It's the same with Fr Allegra, the founder of the Studium Biblicum Hong Kong. He forged ahead with projects that people called stupid, dangerous, wasteful, meaningless and he was personally attacked as stubborn, obstinate, unco-operative, proud. Today we see it as fierce tenacity in fulfilling a dream to bring the Bible to China; total commitment to a cause; far-sighted. I think people who throw such disparaging judgements are simply frightened, near-sighted, comfort-zone people who never shared the greater dreams that God has planned for us all nor doing God's grace any justice.

I was surprised to see in the film that not only her students came to join her (Mother Theresa), but also the cook. I must ascertain if this is true, with the MC sisters. It was a good film overall - it was encouraging and confirmed many things for me. Coupled with the explanation of today's Gospel I made several blogs back, I think we have to take risks, have confidence in God with lots of perseverance and hope, go ahead and do what you think God is calling you to - even when people discourage you and judge you. God made you greater than you think you are - you must grow into it. You are capable of doing greater things than you're doing now. Have hope.