It was a sombre day - as we remember Fr Michele. A commemoration Mass was celebrated this morning, presided by our superior Fr Najib. We sang the Mass for the Dead, as well as the Office of the Dead. "One of the pillars of our school" - that was how he was described by a confrere. We will truly miss him and his immense contribution to the archaeology of Jordan and the Holyland.
I was in my room the whole day yesterday - partly because I wanted to finish my work, and partly because I wanted some quiet to think about Fr Michele. I used to photocopy things for him back in 1993-1995, sometimes at odd hours of the night when he needed material in a hurry; and helped translate some of his conferences into english. In fact just a few months prior to his leaving for Italy for medical attention, he asked me to translate 3 articles for him which I did. Several months back when I was worried over my work, he told me (at dinner table where he sat opposite me) to lighten up - you think too much, he said, don't take life so seriously; enjoy the food in front of you and the company around you. Who would have thought a few months later we would not have his company with us. And it was so opportune that he died on the night of the feast of Our Lady of Palestine - the land that he loved so much.
Well I've decided that I'll need to put more effort in finishing my work at hand - which means I'll probably cook my own meals in my room: rice and maybe something from a can (the ubiquitous sardine). Matthew my Indian classmate is already doing it ... hmmmm that's why he finished his work before me. I'll also have to get a library card from the Dominican Ecole Biblique as most of the books I need are there. But the thought of having to walk there tires me already. My left calf is pretty painful and cramps most of the time - the doc says its probably because I strain it too much in order to avoid bending my ankle which is the real problem. Good to know the problem - but doesn't help in relieving the pain.
The sun is up today. But it still is cold. Yesterday I had a nostalgia for Advent - the Christmas carols, setting up the Christmas tree ..... probably because I spoke about Christmas to my nephews and nieces on the phone. Well Advent is round the corner. Are you guys going on an Advent retreat?