Tonight Israel begins celebrating its 60th anniversary of the founding of the state. Tonight begins the memorial of those fallen in the war. As can be expected, security is extremely tight in and out of the Old City. I'll not go out to avoid the crush and also the security hassle.
Yesterday I was at Mother Teresa's sisters' convent. They cooked me a nice meal with no salt - white rice (which is getting more expensive here in Israel), beans and veg curry. Nice to eat some local (as in Asian) food again. I kept half the food for today's lunch. Sr Alphonse-Rose says she'll cook some marsala next week - yum! imagine eating marsala in Israel!!!
The weather has gone all strange. Nice hot sun but a very cold wind blowing. People are actually wearing winter jackets again in the streets. I've covered the canaries' cages with cloth to protect the hens and eggs from the cold.
Fr Gregor Geiger and Matteo came to visit just a minute ago so broke off writing this blog. Gregor was a visiting student back in 1993 when I was first here. Now he's professor of hebrew - he's very good at learning semitic languages. Matteo is from Assisi (where St francis came) and had just earned his Licentiate a couple month's back. He's also very talented in hebrew and Aramaic. He's got a bright future ahead. It was nice they came by and chatted - they had to stand as I don't have chairs in my room. Like I said, I like this community here at the Flagellaiton because some friars are very kind and thoughtful. I really appreciate them.
Pentecost is round the corner - made your novena to the Holy Spirit yet? I think the novena (meaning 9 days) originated from this period between Ascension Day and Pentecost (count how many days these are!). See what surprises the Holy Spirit will bring to your lives!