Thursday, May 15, 2008

help

Fr Vincenzo has returned to Cairo today. He has been in Italy for treatment of thrombosis and is hopefully getting better. Everyone here is still worried for him. He called me last week and said he thanks you all for your kind generosity which is helping the poor kids get a decent meal, and several children to study in school.

Now I know your generosity and how the earthquake in China is pulling at your heart-strings; but I have another appeal to make. This appeal comes also with the urging of several friars of authority here in Jerusalem for my help in this matter. It concerns a Catholic family that is in dire need. The family is well known to us and the father works very hard to support his family (7 persons in all), and believe me, we friars here all know how he slogs to bring the bread home. Because he's an honest hard-working man now in trouble, the friars each are trying to selvage what they have to contribute to help him. I'm also offering the little that I have. But I turn to you now for help. If you can spare a little to alleviate the situation, we friars here will be very grateful to you.

You can leave your offering with Katie at our office in Leighton Centre, room 1104 and make sure to write "Kassis family' on a note. I shall acknowledge your offering on this blog as usual, and we will remember you at Mass and in our prayers. Thanks.

Today's Mass reading is from the letter of St. James. In it he tells us to love the poor because God has chosen them to be rich in faith. Now is the chance for you to live this message.