Saturday, July 23, 2022

Stromata

 Have been feeling ill for the past few days. Been resting mostly as the fever and nausea returned. I'm not sure what's going on. But it feels terrible.

Still there's work to be done, so I spent a little time catching up with work as a team of experts from Milan came to help me deal with some ancient books that I needed specialist help with. Also several other specialists from various institutes came and needed access to some specific books, scanning etc.

Konkani Mass
Then this morning I had to go to Jaffa to celebrate the Konkani Mass as most of the chaplains are on vacation. The migrant catholic communities celebrate Sunday Mass on Friday and Saturdays since these are the weekend days here. Sunday is a work day. It's good to be with the Konkani community of Jaffa area again. They're a large vibrant community that enlivens the local church. They pack the huge neo-gothic church and they pray loudly and enthusiastically. Very impressive and encouraging.

In the meantime, violence has been wrecking the country. A stabbing attempt was thwarted in the Old City early today. Israel bombed several sites in Gaza and Syria. A former minister of a rival Palestinian party was almost killed in an assassination attempt in Nablus. The Maronite Bishop of Haifa was detained by Lebanese forces for doing charity work. Everything sounds so troubling this summer. Seems to be in sync with my health.