 |
Carrying Vincent to the cemetery |
Yesterday I joined the Indonesian friars at the funeral of Fr. Vincent. The journey took 3 hours to reach there because there was an accident on the highway - a massive truck oveturned and thousands of live chickens were all over the highway. We arrived just on time for the Mass but it was delayed for half an hour because the presider was also stuck in the traffic jam. We started the Mass without him because the crowd was waiting. When we finished the Mass, the presider arrived just in time for the burial in the cemetery. The weather was terribly hot, 37 degrees but felt like 40. The burial was done under the heat with everyone joining in. It was a good farewell to Vincent. He was a quiet and holy man ... adoring the Eucharist every day without fail.
Going home took 4 hours because though the accident was cleared up, the after-work traffic was building up. I was exhausted when I reached home. 7 hours of travel to a mere 90 kms. But we were all satisfied that we paid our last respects to him.
I had eaten nothing from midnight till I returned home, fearing my IBS would cause me problems along the way ... which was that unforeseen 7 hours. So when I got home, I was very hungry and ate some leftover rice and spinach. Then it was sleep all the way through to this morning. Today's a new day ... and Fr. Vincent is in heaven praying for us.