Sunday, July 17, 2022

Day off

Birds!!
 I'm so glad I managed yesterday to clean my room and prepare my laundry to be sent to our laundry dept tomorrow. That meant that I was free today to do whatever I wanted. So I took a slow morning, watering the plants and trimming back the daisies. Then I took a walk to the New City where I had not been for a long time. The streets were beautifully sheltered from the hot sun by various themes ... umbrellas, balls, birds etc. It was very fun. However the streets are half empty. perhaps it's the heat, perhaps its the high cost of living that's driving the people from coming out to shop.

Yes the price of everything especially food has shot up so high people are now protesting. But its happening throughout the world also. Yesterday the newspaper reported that the govt is intervening to control the price of bread. That's a good start.

Shakshuka + bread
Yesterday morning was busy because I had the Konkani Mass in Jerusalem. After that I passed through the monastery kitchen and the sister working there gave me a small plate of shakshuka for breakfast. It was a nice surprise. I was very hungry and it came at the right time. I'm practically eating one meal a day nowadays after my gastroenteritis attack. I hardly have an appetite ... but by not eating, I become weak and faint. Luckily I didn't throw up the shakshuka.

Newspapers report that yesterday saw the highest rate of Covid hospitalisations in 4 months. 74 cases are intubated. All patients over 80 yrs. Infection rates too are at its highest. I'm still wearing the mask despite the 30+ degree weather.