 |
| Cold, wet New Year's eve |
It's the first day of 2022, and we celebrate the solemnity of the Mother of God. I presided the Konkani Mass at our parish for several hundred konkanis. It was a nice start to the new year. It started with a 20 minute eucharistic adoration. Then Mass was celebrtaed. With the Omicron infection rising to 5000 a day, everyone had masks on, even me.
It rained all night and this morning was freezing cold. I thought of going to walk around East Jerusalem but the roads are slippery so I decided not to. It would have been a little different from the routine ... I even thought of going to Bethany to visit the garden and pet shop. But I forgot to bring my passport and there's a checkpoint between Jerusalem and Bethany.
 |
Delicious dinner at the Barakat home |
Last night the Barakat family, whom I've known for well over a decade, invited me over for a New Year's Eve dinner. There was warak dawali (stuffed grape leaves) which I like very much, other stuffed veggies, roasted lamb and beef and a host of arab salads. I loved it. Their 2 sons have grown up. I remember them as little boys whom their mother brought to work as they had no babysitter. We had a nice family time, chatting and enjoying the meal. It's been 3 decades since I had New Year / Christmas dinner with a family. Usually I'm alone at home during this festivity as everyone here goes home.
Well 2022 has started. Let's see how it goes.