Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Infections

Friday market
 Infections in our main monastery where I work has shot up to over 30. And there is at least one case in the place where I stay. I am wearing the mask even at home, as soon as I walk out of my room. Constant hand-washing is also necessary for me. I give up on alcohol gels. I think I'm developing an allergy to it.

Any walk through Damascus Gate will show you why Omicron is spreading so fast. Hawkers peddling their goods and crowds jostling without wearing masks. Weekends are even worse. I avoid gong through that area. Instead I take a long detour, half a km, to Herod's Gate to get home. It's less crowded and I feel safer.

A good friend, Fr. Romeo has just decided to go for the Covid test. He said I'll have to go to hospital soon and he doesn't want me to be infected before I get there. We sit next to each other during meals. I wish others who be just as considerate. There are some who have clearly been exposed to infected persons but refuse to be tested nor stay in isolation. 

There was an earthquake this morning in Cyprus but it was felt here. People woke up at 5.30am finding furniture shaking. A timely reminder that we're due to a massive and direct one anytime.

One catastrophe after another ... what a way to start the New Year. And the Chinese New Year is also round the corner. I doubt we'll be able to celebrate it here with this pandemic. I'm not vaccinated so I can't mix with crowds and enter restaurants. I'll spend it quietly alone.