 |
| Ben Yehuda Mall on Sunday |
There's been tensions around our area again. Protests against the forced evictions of arab families in Sheikh Jarrah and Silwan had led to clashes with the police. Also a joggathon organised by local arab youths from Sheikh Jarrah to Silwan (3.5km) was aggressively broken up at the ending line by police even tough the youths were in festive spirit and there were no signs of violence. A local activist was arrested but at the police station, croweds came out in support which led to police firing stun grenades to disperse them. I happened to be on my way home from a walk out to the New City when it happened. Someone said there's always trouble wherever I go. Wonder if that's a compliment!
 |
| My ice cream |
So yes, Sunday was my off day. I've been very stressed with work and problems and just needed to go out for a walk. It's been more than 2 weeks since I went to the New City. Went to buy birdseed for Buddy and JJ, then rewarded myself to an ice cream cone ... in this hot 28 degree weather. The streets were relatively crowded. Most restrictions on outdoor activities have been lifted. Dining indoors and out are possible ... so lots of people are just spending time eating. I enjoyed my ice cream cone ... vanilla and cherry. It tasted really good ... after 2 summers in lockdown.
I've been planning to go to Jaffa for a month's summer holidays. But I'm not sure if it'll be possible. I hear there're still racial tensions there.But it'll be nice to be by the sea again ... it'll definitely be less tense than Jerusalem. And I deserve it. A good meal at Thai House or Peking Duck is also planned ... and our twin seminarians are hoping to come along! They enjoyed very much the Thai lunch we had there 2 summers ago. I hope this dream will come true. It's been a very difficult year last year ... and we need to pick up life where we left off. Also it'll be helping the local economy!