Tuesday, June 1, 2021

End of restrictions

Kindergarten kids going out
June has begun. The half year mark has been reached ... in 30 days we'll start the second half ... and then the countdown to Christmas will begin. Sounds exaggerated but time really flies, and it'll be as I described it.

As it is, exams have begun in all the schools around the country. Students are walking everywhere listlessly with books in their hands and blank stares in their faces. It's that zombie period before entering the exam room.

Kindergarten kids though have no exams. For them it's fun time before the Summer Holidays begin and they won't see their friends again. Due to Covid lockdown, many kids are losing in developing social skills. School interaction will rough down their edges and learn to give and take. That's more important than formal lessons on maths and science.

The weather continues to be very hot. There's no news about the forest fires so they much be under control. In 24 hours we might just get a new govt. And all Covid restrictions will be lifted in a couple of days. The rapid vaccination  programme is a great success and it's too bad many countries can't follow it either because they have no vaccines available or they lack the infrastructure to do it.

I've been getting a headache the past 2 days ... probably from exhaustion and lack of sleep. The muezzin starts to call for prayer at 3.30am which technically is 2.30pm solar time ... and that means no more sleep after that, because within 15 mins begins the recitations from the Quran for 15 mins and then the very loud call to prayer at the first rays of the sun ... which is at about 3.55am (technically 2.55am solar time). How I dream of hearing the waves form the ocean and the smell of sea-air ... Jaffa in summer ... but I guess I'll probably go when the racial riots calm down.