Monday, February 15, 2021

Snow?

Chinese dinner from the nuns
 News is all over the media and streets ... it will snow on Wednesday or Thursday. It's exciting for many ... but worrisome for me. With no snow for the past 5 years, I'm not sure if our skylights and roofs are able to withstand a snowstorm. Yes, it will be a storm. All the news say the same thing. If the snow comes, it will be massive.

Though I planned to stay home today, I was called out to work on an emergency. Ramallah in Palestine will be closed for 4 days from tomorrow due to the pandemic and one of my library workers who lives there will be locked in. I had to search for a room for him to stay overnight here in Jerusalem. After frantic phone calls and emails, I managed to secure a room in our hostel. After all the arrangements, there was also collecting books from the Printing Press, payments and visiting a few poor families to check on them. Then it was a quick return home to catch up with reading.

At the barber's
On the way home, I saw many small shops opened ... against lockdown rules. The barber's was packed with youths ... who needed a haircut after the 1 month strict lockdown. Small restaurants were opened and owners standing at the doors, waiting futilely for business. It was a sad sight. I went to buy a sandwich from a poor family restaurant ... they are struggling to survive ... a young couple with 3 young children and caring for their aged father as well. 

News just out - all shops, businesses, places of worship and cultural venues will reopen this Sunday. Health experts are warning against it. Me? I will keep safe, wear masks, wash hands and limit my outings. I have no choice since I cannot be vaccinated. Tomorrow I must go for a medical test to see if I was infected by the virus.

Meantime the chinese sisters continue to cook meals for me. Yesterday they cooked rice with sweet-sour chicken, with spicey vegetables. It was very delicious. If it snows for the next few days ... my source of hot meals will end.