Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Sick

Damascus Gate last night
What a dreadful day .... I never felt so sick before ... like an inch away from death. At 2am I was choking from phlegm deep in the windpipe ... couldn't cough it out much as I tried. Only after an hour of walking and drinking hot water did some of the phlegm came out. I didn't sleep one bit. As the sun rose I tried to start work but I simply couldn't as I was still choking. There wasn't enough oxygen in my lungs and my heart was beating overtime to get oxygen. I was dizzy and nauseous and my heart felt like stopping anytime. Still I had to go up 1km to the other office as I had urgent matters to settle. I couldn't walk all the way. It felt like my heart would stop any moment. The MC sisters helped me a short way, while dissuading me from going to work ... and halfway there the superior of the Holy Sepulchre passed by and helped me get to my office. It was utterly dreadful.

Anyway I managed to do all I needed to do and got home very weak and ill. Back home I managed to sleep for an hour before having class and then having to go out again to collect 2 luggages from the sister who was leaving tonight. She left them for the poor. However having walked to her convent which is half a km away, nobody opened the door. Phone calls weren't answered. So I walked back home.

Fight at bread stall
Last night I had to collect 2 books from another library. I couldn't walk the distance so I asked the students to bring it down to me at Damascus Gate. It's been some time since I saw Damascus Gate by night. All lit up ... but hardly anyone in the streets. After the shooting the previous night, people are staying out of trouble and staying indoors. Across the road from the Gate, an altercation broke out between the cheating bread seller and a local from Tel Aviv. It wasn't too violent but the crowd was gathering ... and the soldiers there just stood by, watching everything.