Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Charity

Empty alley in the Old City
With my ankle still swollen, I decided not to go to work at the other library which is 1km uphill. But I still had to go to the Sisters of Ivrea convent at 5.30am for Mass and then immediately came home to throw away the garbage, open the university library and disinfect it, then go downstairs to open the gate for my librarians to arrive.

When everyone was at work and the daily routine was in place, I went to M. Teresa's convent to deliver some food and gave the benediction at the end of their eucharistic adoration. Visited the sick sister as well. Then on my way home I met a jewish security friend whom I haven't seen since the lockdown 5 months ago. He was on duty but we managed to chat for a bit. Meanwhile a voice called out to me ... an elderly muslim neighbour with very bad parkinson disease was going to the nearby clinic to see the doctor. He called me again so I walked over to him and helped him to the clinic. Once he registered with the receptionist and sat down safely, I went home. I must say this morning's acts of charity far exceeded my normal quota.

Rockefeller Park & crusader well
New infections number 1700+ in the last 24 hours. We're never sure what the govt is thinking of doing. We just wear masks, keep distances and wash hands frequently. It's all we can do. Going out is not much of a choice as we need food and medicine and do other essential work. We just need to be prudent and careful.  

And talking about going out, it's been the first time in 5 months since I went to the Ivrea convent of Mass. As usual I need to pass by the Rockefeller Park with it's ancient crusader well. It was good to get some fresh air among the olive trees. A cool breeze was blowing and the smell of the wet grass was wonderful. It feels like summer holiday time.