Thursday, August 27, 2020

Eventful day

Greek Patriarch Theophilos
This morning the Greek Orthodox Patriarch, Theophilos II, went in procession to the Tomb of the BVM in the Kidron Valley ... passing by our house. I was at the door as I usually am everyday for 10 minutes, to let our library workers in. I have to take their temperatures as required by law. It was just then when I heard the banging of maces on the cobbled street ... the sure sound of an official procession. And as the entourage approached I realised it was from the Greek Orthodox Church. And behind the 2 lines of bishops was the patriarch walking in the middle .... big beard and triple pectoral cross. You couldn't miss him. He was also the only one not wearing a mask.

Police block at tramway today
The day was one big rush as I had to run off to the central office to discuss with Human Resources and lawyers if some of my library workers can come back to work in September. Most have been laid off during the lockdown. Once that was settled, it was going through a whole mountain of written requests for sponsorship of students, vetting each one for eligibility. Then a mad rush home for class at 1pm followed by 4pm Bible conference and adoration/confession at the MC sisters. Finished at 7pm and another quick rush to the western side of town to return some food boxes to Mian restaurant. On the way home, I saw a huge crowd at the Municipality tram station ... with a police van blocking the road. There must have been a suspicious package and the police sappers had come to detonate it. It brought back all the memories of the 2 Intifadas ... it was scary ... the days of bombings and shootings.  

It's been very tiring and my right heel hurts very much. I really should rest now.

News just in ... foreigners may be allowed into Israel in October. That will be helpful to the economy. But mind you, these past 6 months was a much needed break from the tourist onslaught of the past 2 years. It was a good break. It was also a good occasion for renovations and cleaning. It was good while it lasted. But then again, the opening to tourists might be postponed for another couple of months.