Thursday, August 1, 2019

Liguori feast

Char-grilled chicken
Today is the feast of St. Alphonsus Liguori, founder of the Redemptorists. I presided at the memorial Mass and then it was back to work. This morning I had to bring cooked food to the M. Teresa's sisters in Bethlehem. There were lots of uneaten dinner servings in the 2 largest monasteries in Jerusalem because due to poor communication, most of the guys had gone to Bethany for lunch. So instead of wasting food, I was asked to bring it to the poor in Bethlehem. That was when I decided to buy the iconic char-grilled whole chicken which I hadn't eaten in a year. It's a dying arab cuisine as only one stall in Bethlehem makes and sells it. I bought 2 so I could share it with our sisters and workers. We don't get this in Jerusalem. And everyone loved it.

Then it was back home to do some work before going to the M. Teresa's convent in Jerusalem for a conference, eucharistic adoration and confessions. It's my weekly responsibility ... and it takes about 2.5 hours each Thursday evening. Tomorrow will be our solemnity of St. Mary of the Angels so I guess I'll be singing most parts of the Mass. Maybe I should take a day off tomorrow.

A sudden spike of tensions at the southern border when an early morning attack by Gazans injured israeli soldiers. Then up in the northern border come reports that Israel bombed the town of  Quneitra where 2000 yrs ago St. Paul encountered the Risen Lord. It's quite a jittery day as no one knows where its all leading us.  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5561730,00.html  and  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5561904,00.html