Thursday, August 29, 2019

Humid day

Typical arched street
The humidity today was unbelievably high. It was hot and sweaty ... I had to change clothes thrice going and coming back from work. It's not just being uncomfortable in the sweat ... it's the oppressive  atmosphere which makes one very tired easily. Everyone feels listless and unable to work. Everyone was indoors or inside cars that are air-conditioned. I was at Mian restaurant to collect chinese herbal soup that Linda had boiled ... and the restaurant was empty .... no one on a Thursday evening. Unheard of. Restaurants all along the road were empty of customers. Nobody was out in the streets. That was how dreadful the weather was today.

This morning as I walked to the Ivrea convent for Mass at 5.45am, the streets were wet with dew. This humidity is unusual at this time of the year ... the peak of summer. It should come only after October .... after the Feast of Tabernacles. The weather has changed so much.

I had lots of work to do this morning so by 1pm I was exhausted ... both by work and the weather. Tried to rest for half an hour before going to the MC sisters for weekly bible talk and confessions. Now it's evening and I thought of going out to walk and see the weekend happenings in the streets. There're usually night markets, buskers, concerts, light shows .... but I'm feeling too tired to go out.

The heat and humidity must be affecting the region as well because the sudden tension and talk of war all but disappeared from the news. I guess no one is in the mood to fight in this weather. Instead the spotlight is on the coming elections ... parties negotiating with other parties to form a coalition ... promises, compromises. I guess the locals all know by now its all pre-election rhetoric ... and after the elections things will remain the same ... with the ultra-orthodox wielding the greatest power even though its the smallest party.