Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Full moon

Full moon last night
Everyday going to work is becoming harder and harder. Maybe it's the scorching summer heat. Maybe it's old age. What used to be a 7 minute walk 1 km away has now turned to a 25 min ordeal .... panting and gasping. Mind you I haven't had an asthma attack like I used to, for many months now. It's the phlegm that's choking my airwaves when I have to exert to walk uphill. Nowadays I have to plan very careful where and when I go to places and give myself a good half hour leeway.

It's the last day of Eid al Adha ... thank goodness. Tomorrow the shops will reopen so we can go and buy daily necessities. The moon is full and another phase of lunar festivities is over. We now wait for the next full moon when the jewish feasts of New Year, Atonement and Booths will be celebrated. The Chinese will celebrate the Mooncake festival at the same time. And muslims will have their New Year. Let's see if the peace will hold up.

At the nursery
This morning I had to go to the nursery to buy bags of soil and it was nice to see so many flowering plants despite the intense heat. My night-flowering jasmine is dying ... not sure why ... could be the heat. So I bought a myrtle bush to replace it. But I cannot transplant them immediately because the heat will kill them both. Perhaps I can do it tomorrow morning or evening when it's alot cooler.

A census has shown that majority of jews want buses and public transport to be running on the Sabbath. That's a hopeful sign ... though the minority ultra-orthodox community that had imposed the no-work rule will still carry the day.  https://www.timesofisrael.com/most-israeli-jews-back-public-buses-on-shabbat-and-egalitarian-prayer-at-kotel/?fbclid=IwAR3pMuIvvxmRsjLBnyd1dgdpu8QievUIfH4kkQNAFO0SNsyASDfaly8u6Mk

On the national front ... no news of violence or clashes at the borders. Its too hot to fight.