Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Last night, today

Arab drummer and jewish guitarist
I was utterly appalled yesterday when I watched the destructive rampage in Hong Kong's LegCo. It was not justified nor justifiable ... so please don't make excuses for them. At the same time it must not be generalised as the entire protest movement. It was not. It was committed by a minority fringe who did not reflect the ideals of the peaceful majority.

We've had our share of violence as well today. An israeli shot dead an ethiopic jew and now ethiopic jews throughout the country are demonstrating. It's another moment that black jews feel discriminated by white jews ... like the unprovoked beating of an ethiopic soldier by israeli police several years ago. It led to major demonstrations and riots in almost all cities in the country. My jewish ethiopic friends all tell me tonight things will heat up in the City. I'm just wondering if I should go out and see the demonstration ... it'll definitely get complicated because the Festival of Lights is still on.  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5541869,00.html?fbclid=IwAR0UDIWq89RcqKlK-N0ZeRkKntc8Pr8gmYV_lh8Z0mWrneNOrcX7_bJYFgg

Anyway last night on my way home from work I saw an encouraging sight at the Festival ... an arab drummer and a jewish guitarist making music. Only arab passersby stopped to listen and watch ... so I decided to stand there in support and took photos. Immediately other jews also stopped and took photos ... they were just scared to stop and stand next to arabs until they see strangers doing it. Differences can be resolved if only we have the courage to stop, and share what is common between us. The greatest enemy is fear. The greatest sin is unfounded hatred  (sinat chinam in hebrew).