Monday, July 1, 2019

Bad news Monday

Crowded street in
Old City
The Hong Kong protests are misguided. Accept the fact that you're living on borrowed time ... that in a few years HK will return fully into chinese authority. And any changes demanded now can and will be reversed then. Instead of wasting time and energy fighting the inevitable, it's more constructive to study how to adapt. Such violence I am watching now on the news is disturbing and very destructive to future plans.

And down along the bad news line ... Israel bombed syrian military positions early this morning. 16 killed. Now we'll see if Syria and Iran will respond. Doesn't look good. Trump's weak and contradictory response to Iran is threatening Israel's security. If America is not going to be firm with Iran, Israel will. Shows you who's the boss around here.

And a newspaper report says that lots of arab teenagers are being arrested. Israel should realise that jail is no longer a deterrent or scare tactic to prevent future attacks. Jail is now a status symbol ... a mark of honour and adulthood and heroism among the arab youths.   https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-israel-jails-hundreds-of-palestinian-boys-a-year-1.7021978?fbclid=IwAR2X_Sp4MV-dfg3LfpbzDBsVDyB40CghC_v6l6q0lm3N6bTUwlIhwNMtmPw

Families picnic at Rockefeller Park
A general strike was scheduled for tomorrow at the airport and all immigration crossings. It's scared a lot of tourists. This morning I heard the strike might be called off of the workers are paid. They have not been paid for the past month. Horrible. I don't blame them. The cost of living is high and without a month's salary, you just can't survive.  

And yesterday while watering the jasmine bushes in our sisters' courtyard, a small snake fell near my feet ... apparently it was curled up on a jasmine branch. It slipped away quickly behind some pots. Now everyone is scared they'll get bitten. I'm wearing shoes from now on when I go out watering the plants.

I'm still sick with fever and pain and dizziness and nausea. It could be heatstroke after all. So much for all the bad news on Monday. Garfield would have been proud.