Friday, May 12, 2017

Tense Friday

My little garden
Tension rising in the Old City and perhaps also in East Jerusalem as Nakba Day approaches. At lunch time when I was waiting for M. Teresa's sisters to come collect some things, soldiers were running down our road towards Herod's Gate. Apparently they saw someone carrying a knife. I'm sure the borders will be closed with Palestine and our Muslim Quarter will be under heavy police surveillance or even lockdown. I don't look forward to Monday which is Nakba Day.

The weather continues to be hot although today we had a nice cool wind blowing. I had to water the plants more than usual because the heat has dried out the sol very quickly and most of the lovely flowers have wilted. Luckily my early summer flowers are protected by an awning. I have amaryllis, chincherinchees and nasturtiums blooming beautifully.

There was a great advert on the Internet for groups to visit a couple of arab villages during Ramadan ... to see how the muslims cook and celebrate when the sun sets. I'd love to join in one of these tours. But it takes 7 hours in all and with my IBS I'm not sure if I can control myself. But it would sure be great if I could. Too bad the State is clamping down on arab identity. Apparently arabic is no longer one of the official languages of Israel. It's not nice to speak arabic in public anymore. It's part of Israel's "nation building" program which apparently does not include non-jews.    http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.788635  and  http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.788288

April saw the largest jump in tourists in Israel's history since foundation of the State: 350,000 raking in 6 billion shekels in just one month.  https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/society/144811-170509-tourism-in-israel-breaks-record-increases-by-40-in-april

Wonton noodles
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful gifts and greetings and medicines. And the wonton noodles was great!!! I've been having these cravings for asian food ... so much. Probably it's the summer holidays soon and everyone will be going home to eat their own food ... and I'll be alone again here ... left out.