Thursday, May 18, 2017

Extraordinary week ahead

Summer fruit on sale
My students are very patient with me. I'm been falling asleep in class for the past 2 weeks now ... it's afternoon class at 2.30pm and usually I'm on my feet. But the fatigue has been so heavy I've literally fallen asleep .... My students keep quiet and allow me to wake up before continuing with class. The heat makes me drowsy, and I've been hardly sleeping at night because of work and study. This week is also my turn as hebdomedarius (in charge of prayers) so I have to add another responsibility to my busy schedule. I really look forward to summer holidays when I can take a couple of days (yes only a couple of days while others have 3 months) away from work. I'll spend it sleeping.

Seen at a T-shirt
shop in Jerusalem
It's just occurred to me how tense and extraordinarily horrendous next week will be. Monday and Tuesday there is a City lockdown because of Trump's visit; Wednesday is Jerusalem Day (when Israelis captured East Jerusalem and the West Bank, thus "uniting" Jerusalem) so our Muslim Quarter is locked down; Thursday is Ascension Day (Mt. of Olives lockdown) and Friday is the beginning of Ramadan. It's potential for a flashpoint that would ignite into violence. If only I can get out of Jerusalem next week.

And this violence is ore than expected since today a jewish settler shot and killed a palestinian during a riot when he felt his life was in danger. No doubt the palestinians will seek revenge in the coming weeks.  http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-kills-palestinian-injures-journalist-in-west-bank-riot-reports/

And the heatwave continues ... plus a sandstorm hitting the southern sea resort of Eilat. The heat was also one of the main reasons why I couldn't sleep last night. I think it's time to set up the mobile aircon unit. My room is the 2nd hottest in the house during summer.  http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/WATCH-Sandstorms-cover-Eilat-in-southern-Israel-492126