Thursday, May 4, 2017

Jerry in Jerusalem

Mounted Police stop and search
a youth in the Park
Met a couple of old jewish security friends ... they're working still as security but in places outside our neighborhood. It was good to catch up with them. Despite the end of national festivities in Israel, security remains alert. Technically speaking the feasts have not ended because we are in the period of Lag Ba Omer ... which are the intermediate days between Passover and Pentecost. So security is still everywhere. Yesterday while on my way to work I saw 2 mounted police in Damascus Gate Park stopping and searching arab youths there. Well these arabs have no work and so spend the day in the Park, catching some sun instead of staying indoors in a windowless apartment.

Jerry in Jerusalem
Meantime in the western side of Jerusalem (jewish), buntings and flags continue to fly in the streets. The night market is open all week for the Independence Day celebrations. And foreign jewish students visiting Israel on the Birthright Program, swarm the streets having fun. All have minders who are armed. And yesterday evening as I had to go there on an errand, I saw Jerry (of Tom & Jerry) walking in the streets. Nothing surprises me anymore in this City. I had a good laugh and quickly took a pic. An ultra-orthodox guy coming the opposite direction saw me laughing, he also laughed, winked and shrugged his shoulders and continued walking.

Today the Nablus Road Open House Day begins. Unfortunately I have class and then adoration and confessions, then meeting up a group of pilgrims . My day will end at 10pm so I'll miss the Open Day today. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow. I have to take some pictures because Al our Indonesian student wanted to join in but has a compulsory excursion to the Neghev Desert these 4 days. I promised to take some photos for him to see. Better luck next year.

Ultra-orthodox jews continue to assault Israeli society by forcing shops to close on Sabbath in tel Aviv. In Jerusalem they have already succeeded in doing this. However ministers in the Knesset fought to prevent the law from being passed.  I would hate to think that Tel Aviv becomes an introverted exclusive City for ultra-orthodox jews like Jerusalem.   http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.786398