 |
2 ancient olives trees transplanted
at Damascus Gate roundabout |
The heat continues to scorch the earth ... and us. 36 degrees or more. Nights are mostly sleepless because of the heat as well. I wonder if the 2 ancient olive trees will survive. They have been transplanted onto the Damascus Gate roundabout 2 days ago ... probably to provide shade for the israeli soldiers who keep watch there of the volatile situation at Damascus Gate. By the look of the trunks, the trees are easily several hundred years old. But this heatwave will kill the roots if they are not constantly watered. If the heatwave doesn't kill them, the arab youths will. They destroy everything for the sake of destroying. There is no culture of appreciating the land and its products. Most of the trees and flowers planted in the area have been stomped, uprooted, snapped simply because they are there. It's a very destructive culture.
 |
| Lights in the New City |
News of the annual Jerusalem Festival of Lights is out. It will start on the 29th of June ... after Ramadan. That makes sense as after a month of fasting, the people will be ready to celebrate the festival. I hope the heatwave will not return then ... it would make walking through the crowded streets of the Old City quite impossible. Lights have already been put up or are still being put up in the New City - meaning the jewish side of town. They are very pretty. Though they are a month early for the festival, they put the people into a holiday mood ... which will soon start for school children. I think there are many other events this summer for the locals but I'm not keeping track. I'm too busy with my work.
Again ... I mistook Wednesday (yesterday) for Thursday. Went for meetings that did not exist, waited for appointments that were meant for today ... I am just so confused. Someone said that I should just go home and sleep ... it's obviously what I need because it could be one of the causes of my lost of memory or mental confusion. Last night I slept only 3 hours. Was awake from the heat and lots of worries over work and other responsibilities. I can't wait for the school holidays to start. This year I really want to rest. No summer projects please.