Friday, July 15, 2016

Dark street adventure

Street performer at
Ben Yehuda Mall
It's the first Friday after Ramadan. Things are tranquil ... strangely enough. The arabs are recovering from all the feasting. But on the Israeli side .... as seen in yesterday's blog ... things seem to be heating up. But in typical Israeli fashion, it's nicely disguised undera veneer of normality and easy-going summer spirit.

Universities will soon wind up their exams so the summer holidays will start soon for them. That may not sound good as the students will have more time to go out in demonstrations. The exams so far have kept them at bay.

I'm recovering from the sprained hamstring. Am able to walk now though an occasional pain hits the muscle when I sit too long. I was very hungry yesterday as I hadn't eaten in a day. Found some leftover food and ate it at 10am yesterday after my medication. Had the worse bout of diarrhoea. The food was 5 days old but I thought it was still good. Anyway it's over 24 hours now and I still have stomach cramps. Have been resting this afternoon.
Herod's Ascent in
darkness except for
the light at the end
of the street

Yesterday evening I had to go meet the chinese sisters to discuss their work and school. Came home around 9pm but as I now usually enter from Herod's Gate, it has become quite an adventure of sorts. Herod's Gate leads though the toughest neighbourhood in the Old City - Bab Hutta - usually the centre of riots and violence. And the area is often without electricity and water ... like last night. The whole street - called Herod's Ascent - was in darkness. Which gets very tricky when the street is a series of many stairs. And gangs of youths hang around at the corners of various side streets in the dark. The only guiding light is the end of the street where the street light works. Quite an adventure walking home.