Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Holy Doors

The temperature has dropped drastically. Last night was as low as 5 degrees. Today is no better ... the wind is bitterly cold. And many many people have fallen sick. Thank goodness I'm getting better!! Doc said I should have my flu shot as soon as possible once I'm off the steroids. I think I'll go for it tomorrow.

Heated debate at Bible Society 
There was less violence today ... one hit-and-run so far in the Territories. But there was a minor disturbance in Jaffa Street ... a small group of ultra-orthodox jews were protesting in front of the Bible Society. They were not happy that the Torah was placed with christian books. The christian workers there came out to speak with them and there was a heated debate, but no scuffles.

Meantime we received news of the opening of the Holy Doors for the Year of Mercy. Each Rite has its own Holy Door, so from Dec. 13th till Dec. 27th, half a dozen catholic cathedrals will have their Holy Doors opened: the Maronites, Greek Catholics, Armenian Catholics, Syrian catholics and of course the Latin Catholics. We latins have 3 basilicas with Holy Doors: St Catherine's in Bethlehem, Basilica of the Agony in Gethsemane and Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth. That way catholics from the north and those in the Territories will have a chance to celebrate the opening of the Holy Year since those in the Territories will not be able to come to Jerusalem.

Well if you do come to visit the Holy Land next year, you'll get to walk through the Holy Doors. After all it was here in this land that God's Mercy was fully expressed by sending His Son to die on the Cross for us.