Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Emergency Ward again

I have pneumonia ... added to a severe break of asthma. Landed up in Emergency Ward again. The French Hospital has been renovated beyond recognition .... from a rundown medical centre that nobody dared to enter (because you usually come out dead), to a very modern high-tech, bright and clean place comparable with any hospital in a metropolitan city. I got lost in other words. Couldn't find my way to the registry counter, or exit or x-ray dept. 
8th visit to EW
Anyway I could hardly breathe anymore. It became worse when I the right side of my head began to have a throbbing pain and my right arm was numb. Thought it might be a stroke. And I blacked out twice. So I went to Emergency as soon as I felt strong enough to walk out to Damascus Gate which is half a km away. 

When the nurse in charge saw he, he moaned "Oh no ... always coming at the last minute" ... They know me well I guess ... I never go to the hospital unless I absolutely need to ... which could be a week later. Anyway they know what I needed so I got 5 types of medicine injected into me, then a nebuliser. After one hour the doc decided I needed another dosage, this time plus oxygen. And they took blood "from the heart" ... which scared me. It hurt like hell when the needle was poked into the artery. And after 5 long minutes, the sent the phial of blood to the lab. 5 mins later the nurse came back and said "Sorry the blood clotted. We can't use it. We'll need to take another sample". I absolutely refused. It hurts worse than the enormous antihistamine injection which burns.

Anyway I'm supposed to stay in hospital for 3 days. I can't possibly survive that. But I need the rest ... the quiet away from the Old City.