One news from today's newspapers has bothered me ... Israel wastes 25 billion shekels (US$6 billion) worth of food every year, needlessly, while many jews and arabs hardly have one full meal a day. The State Comptroller reported that between 25 - 30% of food is never consumed and wasted, and the State has not addressed this issue.
 |
Packs of clothes and daily necessities
ready to be distributed to refugees
in Syria ... all donated by you |
And this news comes just only a few hours after I was talking to Sr. Marta from the Spanish Sisters of Calvary regarding one particular family. The father had run away to remarry in another city, the mother is very sick with cancer and is under heavy chemotherapy and treatment, unable to work, 2 daughters and a son still in school. They are so poor they cannot afford meals. The St. Vincent de Paul sisters from another convent provide the girls with lunch. The sisters of Mother Teresa provide food for the mother. Thanks to many of you, the children's school fees are paid for and the mother's medical treatment. But when I hear US$6 billion worth of food wasted like this, I am very upset and angry. But I'm not an Israeli nor a tax-payer ... I can only stand on the sidelines and do what I can.
Many of you are generous donors supporting poor families here in the Holyland. Thanks to your goodness, children and adults are eating at least one meal a day, receive medical care, school fees and rent and electric bills paid. And more recently, christian refugees from Syria and Iraq are supported by your kindness, receiving food, shelter, medication, clothes and safety.
 |
A sister of St. Vincent de Paul and
volunteers in Syria preparing food packs
for the poor ... donated by you |
I have always believed that education is the only way with which people can break out of the poverty cycle. With an education, young people can have decent income jobs that provide food, pay rent and receive proper medical care. Sponsorship of students is therefore my priority.
So these are my thoughts for today ... upset but much encouraged with hope by your kindness.