Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pentecost

Jews protesting catholics celebrating
Pentecost at the Last Supper Room
This year our Pentecost clashes with the Jewish Pentecost ("Shavuot"). Vespers will be sung in the Last Supper Room. Unfortunately the jews will be downstairs in the so-called "David's Tomb". I say "unfortunate" because the jews say we are committing idolatry and defile the place for jews downstairs, so in the newspapers they have called for thousands of jews to come and block christians from entering the Last Supper Room. So much for tolerance. Now if christians blocked the jews from entering the "David's Tomb", there'll definitely be accusations of anti-semitism; and the usual western countries with deep-seated guilty conscience will echo these accusations. But it's being done to christians today here ... and thee countries are deadly silent. Like they're deadly silent over ISIS killing of christians these few months ... 400 in Palmyra yesterday. If only the Holy Spirit can come down and enlighten these darkened hearts and minds.

Vespers in the Last Supper Room
And as if this un-called for intolerance and hatred is not enough, last night there was a stabbing at Damascus Gate. The 4th in 2 weeks. This summer spells trouble. In a week, Ramadan will begin and so more tensions can be expected.

St. Peter's Church in
Jaffa at night
Yesterday was a tiring day for me as I had to go to Jaffa to celebrate Pentecost Mass for the Konkani catholics. I don't speak Konkani so I did it in english but they responded in konkani. I know the congregation well because the past 5 years I've celebrated with them Holy Week. Then I stayed back to work as sacristan till the last Masses (spanish and hebrew) were finished, closed the church and then returned to Jerusalem. By then it was almost midnight. Was very tired. This morning I had to celebrate Mass at the Armenian Catholic Cathedral. My armenian is not good but I can recite the Creed, Our Father and other parts of the liturgy in that language.

And I've switched medicines again for my asthma. Doc put me on anti-histamines instead asthma steroids. It seems to work. Had only 2 attacks last night. On Monday I'll have to see an allergy specialist. It's going to cost alot as I have no insurance.