Friday, May 22, 2015

Hamsin

Newspapers are reflecting great consternation over the new govt, that was sworn in and presented to the President yesterday. A very diverse coalition united in one thing : far right nationalist agenda. And the first regulation it tried to pass was segregation of buses for palestinians and jews. It's Rosa Parks in the US mid-50s all over again. It's South African apartheid all over again. But the saddest thing is these were also ancient discriminatory acts made against the Jews themselves ... and now they use it against others. Leaving aside the humanitarian questions of this segregation act, Israel must be prepared to face world reaction to this decision. Well apparently this rule got shot down pretty quickly ... on the first round at least. But the Defense Minister swore he'll pull this rule through and enforce segregation at all cost.

Pomegranate flowers
The weather is still crazy ... very hot in the daytime but tonight we're expecting a 10 degree drop again. Not at all fun. My asthma is a little better ... none of the severe attacks although I do tend towards a blackout. It's a very frustrating illness as it makes me scared of going out or being alone as I don't know if I'll actually blackout. If in the streets, I'll definitely get robbed; and if alone I'm afraid I'd bash my head somewhere. What a life.

The heat is making the fruit trees flower profusely. So much olives blossoms, pomegranates and grape flowers ... I think this autumn the fruit harvest will be bountiful ... if the heatwave doesn't last too long. This heatwave is typical of this season ... called the hamsin or "50" (Pentecost / 50 days). Dry dusty, it carries the pollen to other trees and pollinate the flowers. Let's hope this is symbolic of the coalition govt. and its policy toward peace ... it may be dry and dusty but it'll bear fruit in the end.