Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Recovery

Another israeli dies from self-immolation. This time it's very sad ... a disabled soldier who couldn't get aid or rehabilitation rights from the country he fought for. Sad. I think it's the 9th case in 4 weeks.  http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=279626 

Cameraman filming the
bazaar at Damascus Gate
While this saga of fiery suicides continue, the muslim end of the City is still in the midst of the Ramadan fast. Having to fast over 15 hours a day due to the longer daylight hours, and with the heatwave beating down, there're less violence than we had expected. Too weak and hot to start a fight. But the women are full of energy when it comes to shopping. The bazaar at Damascus Gate is packed with women from all around the country, buying up all kinds of stuff ... made in China of course. Makes a good movie, all this frenetic women activity in the bazaar and Suq.

My fever has subsided pretty quickly after taking 40 drops of optalgin. Unfortunately I didn't read the fine print - not good for asthmatics. It triggered a strong reaction that kept me wheezing and gasping. Asthma throughout the day. But without the optalgin, the fever and pain come back immediately. What a vicious cycle. My chest is very painful as the result of the wheezing ... and I can't walk the distance to the doctor's or pharmacist's so I'll have to wait a couple more days till I'm stronger. Feeling faint and headache still. The stomach cramps ended yesterday but this morning it's back. It'll take some time for recovery.

Meantime here's an interesting article on the church's relation with jews - a positive perspective for once.  http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/the-jewish-converts-who-sparked-the-vatican-s-bid-to-end-church-anti-semitism-1.454961