Monday, September 6, 2010

Nightmare night

I thought I was the only one  ... but during breakfast everyone was complaining about it - no one slept a wink last night. Why? The noise out in the streets. The crowds have been blasting fireworks till past midnight. Youths shouting, singing and whistling until 4am. Tractors carrying food up and down the narrow streets. Soldiers and police running up and down to control the situation. It was impossible to sleep. Utterly impossible. If this is only the 5th day to Eid el Fitr, can you imagine what it will be like on the actual feast? Some of us have already said they're moving out for the week. Just found out that it was the 27th day of Ramadan when muslims believe heaven opens and God listens to all prayers. That's the reason for all the festivities.

I went out on the terrace several times last night to see what was happening. Nothing much ... just crowds and crowds moving into the mosque and out of the mosque, talking, laughing and eating. It was 3am. Well I guess it was like that in Byzantine times when Christians kept vigil during feastdays. Egeria's diary mentions that at about 3am crowds of christians would have gathered at the Holy Sepulchre for prayers. That was written in the 4th century AD. Nothing much seems to have changed, except the dominant religion.

My implant is alot better though I still can't chew. I'm just taking soft foods at the moment. Had a craving for spaghetti yesterday ... but the thought of raising the sugar level turned me off. Took some wholemeal biscuits instead.

Praveen is back from his holiday. He's alot thinner. I'm glad he's decided to reduce his pastoral work with the Indian community in Tel Aviv so he can study more this year. Linson has moved from Terra Santa College (my former home) to our place. He's finishing his final year this year. Both Prav and Linson are indians. Soon other students will be filling up the empty rooms. Another indian Biju will also come. Lorenzo an italian has already arrived a month ago. So much moving around.