Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday again

At yesterday's dinner we had a good laugh at the unexpected rain yesterday afternoon ... it wasn't much but it was a good sign. Someone said God worked too early ... he should have waited till Sukkot (next week) to send the rain.

At Vespers yesterday evening we could not start the prayers because the muezzin from the Dome of the Rock began his call. It was loud. We had to wait till he stopped before we could begin as we could not even hear ourselves. During those few minutes of waiting it crossed my mind what it must have felt for christians the last 1000 years to live here under muslim rule. And the thousands of religious monks and nuns who served and died here. I can't tell you how I feel. And what is more humbling is that I am now part of this mission ... and must be prepared to suffer, even to die just as they did.

My jaw is much better but I still have to take a painkiller once in a while. Like I said, the crown is a little misaligned and this makes biting or closing my mouth difficult. The nurse called this afternoon to confirm my appointment on Sunday.

Meantime despite the violence, everyone in the country is looking eagerly at the peace talks in Washington. Let's pray it works out.