Sunday, January 31, 2010

Nightmares

There must be trouble at the Ras el Amud area (about 2km south from where I live) because helicopters were flying there this morning and now again in the afternoon. Israeli Jews have bought over property in that muslim village and are constructing huge apartment buildings in the midst of the rundown turn-of-the-century shanties. Well, before the arabs there start another (almost) weekly riot, they should ask themselves why in the world they sold the properties to the Jews in the first place. If it's sold, then it's the legal property of the buyers and they have every right to build what they want. It's all the greed for money.

Yesterday evening Fr Wojciech defended his doctoral thesis in front of a full hall. He studied Psalms 14 and 53 regarding the topic "The fool says there is not god". Pretty apt for a modern world. Couldn't stay for the whole defense - I left after 2 hours - because I had a meeting with the Custos at 6.15pm. Hurried up hill in the dark and drizzly night. Everyone else went to dinner at the Notre Dame Centre to celebrate Wojciech's doctorate. I came home alone after the meeting - no dinner. Found a pack of Lionsing "Emme" instant rice in my "wonder pack" (that's where I keep my goodies for a rainy day). Fantastic stuff! Know what to get me for birthday or Christmas?????

Have been having nightmares for the past 3 nights. Woke up each time frightened .... lots of work still unfinished, gotta finish them quick, no time.... nightmares. Or it could be the cold ... no heating for the past 3 nights. Whatever. It's wrecking my life. I'm a zombie during the day.

But there's a little good news - with all the heavy rains last week, the Sea of Galilee rose by 1 metre. Doesn't do much for my nightmares but I'm sure the rest of the country is happy.

In a couple of weeks Ash Wednesday will be celebrated. Prepared for Lent?