Thursday, January 7, 2010

New spiritual mission 2010


Yesterday evening, as is traditional on Epiphany, we get our new "holy protectors" and spiritual mission.

This year my patroness is Blessed Mariam Baouardy - the "Little Arab" (the first arab "blessed" in history). She was a Carmelite nun here in Bethlehem. Born in 1846 on the eve of Epiphany in the village of Ibillin (still a christian village today in Galilee), she had a dramatic youth including near death by beheading by a muslim and miraculous healing by Our Lady. She became a Carmelite nun in France, then founded the Carmelite monastery in Bethlehem and Nazareth in accordance to visions of Jesus. Read more at http://www.melkite.org/sa33.htm

My verse for meditation is from the writings of Blessed Mariam Baouardy "Even if someone rises against you, I am with you always. You must never be afraid."

My virtue to practice this year is "patience when in trial".

And I must pray for the soul of Fr Antoine DeFauw. I knew him 20 years back when I was a student and he was actively involved in many Custodial projects - Casa Nova, Christian Information Centre, Status Quo, application for visas. He was a small man with a huge temper. But deep inside, he was kind and caring. May he rest in peace.