Sadly the body of the Archbishop of Haiti was found under the rubble of the cathedral and residence. He was buried yesterday evening.
On a happier note, yesterday was quite an event. I went to Bethlehem (a taxi ride away .... ever wondered how many of you could say that?) to celebrate a Mass for the Missionaries of Charity. One of them, Sr Jane Frances, was leaving for her new mission in Lebanon and it was a Thanksgiving Mass for her 8 years here in Israel/Palestine. We blessed her and she brought all her belongings in 3 bags and left for Jerusalem.
After that I was caught up in an hour long jam at the Bethlehem check-point. One solid hour. No kidding. The soldiers were checking every single car coming out of Bethlehem and going into Jerusalem. Almost half the cars were turned back - not permitted to enter Jerusalem. The jam was caused by drivers arguing with the soldiers. I thought it must be pretty tough and I was bracing for a harsh interrogation when my taxi reached the security barrier. Then I recognised the soldier - his name was Linar and he was at the other barrier earlier to let me enter Bethlehem. Earlier he did not even look at my passport, he just asked where I came from and let me through, saying "Have a nice day, sir". So at the exit checkpoint, I called out to him and asked him if he remembered me from two hours back. He said he couldn't remember anyone because too many people were passing through. So I reminded him, and he said "So you actually remembered me from over there (the entry checkpoint)?" I said yes, and he smiled and said "ok you can go, and have a nice day, sir." He didn't even check my passport.
Once out of Bethlehem, I headed for Terra Santa College, because the community there invited our community (Flagellation Monastery) for dinner. It was nice. We prayed Vespers together and then had a lovely dinner. The Franciscan sisters who care for the kitchen were simply fantastic. Great food and awesome atmosphere. And of course nothing can substitute the incredible fraternity between our two communities (ours being the professors and theirs being the students). It was very relaxed and fun. And lots of laughs as well. Dinner ended at 9pm and I walked home - slowly because my back and feet hurt. Got home at 10.30pm .... pretty tired.