Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ktayyef

For the past 3 nights, the Omariyya school opposite is having workers work overnight to renovate parts of the ancient school - ancient like 2000 years old ... it was once the Antonia Fortress where Peter, John and later Paul was arrested when they preached in the Temple. Anyway the work meant they needed bright lights and so the enormous searchlights were turned on throughout the night ... right into my face. And the work is pretty noisy - cutting stones, drilling etec.... No wonder I haven't slept well. And to top that, my asthma is really really bad. Like I said, it's because of the buildup of fluids in my lungs.

On the bright side, the muslim quarter here is very lively because of the carnival atmosphere of Ramadan .... in the nights that is. I had a taste of ktayyef yesterday ... shared half with Sister Elene, a syrian FMM sister who's celebrating her feastday. She's been in Israel for over 50 years (she's in her 70s) and I've known her since 1992 when I first came. Ktayyef rocks!!!!! You should try one! Pancakes wrapped with walnuts cooked in honey. Yummy.