Sunday, August 23, 2009

Another Sunday

The streets in the muslim quarter are so clean and brightly lit - for once I don't have to use the torchlight to walk up to the 7th Station in order to get to the Holy Sepulchre. The streets are already filled with muslims at 5am going to the mosque to pray. And of course Israeli soldiers are at every corner keeping watch. As a sign of sensitivity to the muslim fast, those of us living here in the muslim quarter avoid eating or drinking in the streets. Even Israeli soldiers are told to be sensitive to this and not eat or smoke in front of muslims. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1249418671236&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

And how about this - the traditional arab headscarf is now being made in China!!!!!! Yes I saw the tags..... they're made in China!!! Local arab women now have no weaving jobs to do so they start making Jewish skullcaps instead!!!!!! http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1109463.html

Well I haven't told you this but I've been suffering from diarrhea for the past week and have lost quite some weight. The sisters of Mother Teresa were quite worried and they started cooking meals for me - white rice and veggies - to make sure I'm eating. Unfortunately it's not helping. I think it's due to drinking too much water. In this heat you need to drink alot, but water left out in room temperature breeds lots of bacteria and I think that's the cause of my diarrhea. It's always safer drinking coke or pepsi or sprite. Hahaha. Do you know the fizzy drinks are so corrosive we use it to soak ancient coins (in archaeology) to get rid of patina (oxidisation of bronze or copper)?