Sunday, August 30, 2009

Dreadful night

Early this morning our visiting professor Giuseppe Ligato was due to return to Italy. I promised to help with his luggage though I really can't do much. But luckily I did .... because the car he booked to bring him to the airport didn't show up. The car was booked at 2am but we waited till 3am. He started panicking as his flight is at 6am and it takes an hour to get to the airport and the security interrogation requires 3 hours advance. So I finally suggested he take a normal taxi as it's his only hope to get to the airport on time ... but the drivers wanted almost US$100 for the trip. We lugged his 4 luggage up to Damascus Gate. The streets along the way were brightly lit and arab men were dotted in corners and shops - they open all night because it's the legit time to eat. Soldiers and police were everywhere of course. A couple of soldiers saw us, questioned us and then said "no taxi huh?" with a smirk. Well anyway the important thing is Giuseppe got to the airport. I was panting badly because of the fluid in my lungs. I can hardly walk far without getting winded.

Besides that event, most of the night was a horrific nightmare .... the workers are still working at night at the Omariyya school opposite. The noise from the stone cutting machine and the tractors that come in and out to remove debris is incredible. And the searchlight is still aimed at my face. Needless to say I slept zero. Had to preside the Mass at 6.30am because I'm the hebdomadarius. The rest of the morning was one restless effort to study. And I'm not the only bothered by the sound ... most of the others living here were also kept awake by it. This morning you could see everyone with rings round their eyes (those who got up that is!)

To make up for the bad night's sleep, our assistant cook Nadia made ktayyef!!!!! yeahhhhhh!!!! I had three .... actually I meant to eat one but got a cheese ktayyef instead of a walnut ktayyef. After two other tries, I found the walnut one. Delicious!!!! Later in the afternoon, Marco who's finishing his Licentiate thesis, bought carobi (the syrup from carob pods). It was really good mixed with cold water. Very refreshing.

Yesterday Sinead the secretary of our secretary made her final profession of vows in Prague (don't ask why) and I promised I'd pray for her at the Holy Sepulchre. Walked up there but was so winded I couldn't come back till 2 hours after. Am really feeling sick. The cook panicked when he saw me and quickly cooked white rice (that's what italians eat when they're sick! don't ask why!) for the past 4 meals for me. By the way 18 people have died of swine flu here but no one is taking precautions.