Friday, May 8, 2009

Pope arrives

So the Pope arrives in Amman today. Lots of bustling activity everywhere for security reasons. See http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5it_V9-E_PP4CcQDTSu25qKMMzOZQD980RUPG1 Although there is no report of any terrorist attack, Israel is always on the lookout and ready for the unexpected. It's not the most prettiest of trips for the pope as every party here has its own agenda to push across. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/1037281.html

Anyway in Amman he will visit our memorial Basilica of Moses on Mt Nebo where the Bible says Moses died. Fr Carmelo our archaelogist will be there to guide the pope. I think he's nervous. Before he left for Amman, we had dinner at Zahara's - a nice Ottoman house building with garden that used to serve real good arabic cuisine ..... but now reduced to serving italian pizza. I'm sure he'll do a good job. He knows his stuff.

Back here though the security is very high and I doubt we'll be able to join the pope in his visits except for the 2 public masses. I think I'll get a better view watching the TV. That's what some others are also saying. Also I think parts of the visit will be shown on Eternal Light Webcast so stay tuned to the channel.

Update on the canaries - we have 7 or 8 babies now. Can't be sure because one of the nests is too deep to have a good look. The Red Factor babies are pretty big now and have started growing feathers. In the big cage where 6 females are staying with one white male, they have made two nests with eggs. Unfortunately yesterday the cats came and tried to get the nesting mums so 3 eggs fell and broke. Everyone was angry at the cats but they don't belong to us and sneak into our courtyard everyday to steal food or kill the canaries.

My asthma is not quite over although my prednisolone regime is finished. The Doc here told me not to restart the regime as it's too much on my body - we're searching for other ways to solve this problem. But it is definitely better than last week.

And to those who asked what I eat for dinner - it's the same routine. Begin with fresh veggies : 1 stick of cucumber, 1 stick of carrot, some olives, several cherry tomatoes if available, maybe one leaf of lettuce; then I chop up one small onion in my broth; then it's usually some cheese or something but I usually don't eat those unless I'm really hungry - doc says I have to stay off yellow cheese. I might sometimes eat a piece of bread just to fill up the tummy. That's my dinner routine. nothing changes unless I go out for dinner and eat some REAL food!!!