It's just after lunch now, and I could hear the papal helicopters booming 3 km away from our monastery. I wanted to go up to the terrace and see it; also brought along the dean and the ex-dean. We saw the helicopter landing and then taking off. It should head for the Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv soon and the departure ceremony will soon be conducted.
Some more news about the visit. http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/05/15/pope.visit/index.html
The pope's final words in front of the Empty Tomb was very meaningful. He wanted to tell the priests and religious living here in the Holyland that they have a mission: to look after the sacred sites of christianity, but also to pray for the whole world because we are closest to these holy places. This resounded what transpired last night after dinner along the corridor when I was with Jean Paul and Rosario (my classmate 18 yrs back and now secretary of our school). I said life can be so meaningless living here in this land of war and suffering; and Rosario said that we take our presence here in the Holyland for granted, or rather we're so used to it we fail to see how special our misison here is. When people ask where we're working, we say as a matter of fact "in Jerusalem"; but that always draw astonishment and surprise from people. They see it as something so special, so blessed, so unique to work here in the Holyland. So maybe the pope's words resonating Rosario's words was meant for me to reflect and appreciate my misison here. Anyway I did say to Rosario that if no priest can be found to replace Fr Manuel in Gaza, I'm ready to go. I'll have to study hard my arabic first though!